Environmental Waste Services
Reports to: ESTES Program Manager
Primary Purpose:The Waste Specialist is responsible for the timely successful waste disposal, regulatory compliance, client satisfaction with cost effectiveness in mind.
• Accurately log information from client interactions into ALERT systems; update in a timely and accurate manner so that clients can track services inquiries and resolution.
• Complete with profiling of terminal waste, and creation of labels to provide to client for identification purposes.
• Provides technical assistance on environmental related issues;
• Assists clients in obtaining needed paperwork SDS, BOL, OSND, photos, waste inventory from other providers and facilities.
• Monitor and provide OSHA compliance requirements support which includes but is not limited to: establishment of effective relationships with departmental representatives.
• Report project status using a variety of methods to departmental representatives.
• Update internal ALERT system to reflect current actively/communication to client.
• Manage hazardous and chemical waste programs for clients onsite following Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Department of Transportation (DOT), and other state and federal government agencies’ regulations
• Coordinate and ensure proper disposal of hazardous waste and maintain accurate reporting Federal, State, and local agencies.
• Execute onsite support services for the entire lifecycle of a hazardous materials management programs at client sites by performing chemical inventories, segregating chemicals, and shipping hazardous waste off-site.
• Characterize, consolidate, pack, and ship hazardous waste for clients per RCRA and DOT regulations
• Train clients on proper chemical safety and hazardous waste management.
• Performs periodic field investigations as needed to build and maintain necessary databases to verify regulatory compliance;
• Responsible for maintaining EPA compliance.
• Provide recommendation for site/terminal employee regarding compliance.
• Maintain the highest standards of compliance on behalf of client.
• Review analytical results to ensure compliance meeting specific state/province requirement and accomplish site closure.
• Submit written, electronic, and intake reports to regulatory agencies.
• Manage proper disposal of all waste.
• Schedule contractors if needed to identify, repack, sample of “unknown waste”
• Audit all subcontractor work orders/invoices for accuracy.
• Input correct information into the ALERT system, including use of correct grammar and spelling, accurate selection of all appropriate categories, and addition of any notes or comments pertinent to the contact and/or contact record.
• Providing and maintaining excellent customer service and satisfaction.
• Ensure all DOT, OSHA, safety rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, and site-specific safety plans are following throughout disposal activities.
• Ensure that all SOP and client special instruction are performed and are compliant.
• Communicate effectively to contractors, clients, regulatory officials, etc…., through both written and verbal communication.
• Return all internal and external calls, emails and facsimiles in a timely manner to ensure that customers’ concerns are understood, addressed and resolved in an efficient and complete manner as possible.
• Maintains professional competency in all aspects of the job.
• Perform other job-related duties as required.POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
• The ability to pass a background check is required
• Waste Specialist s work 8-hour shifts which does include nights, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to handle a fast-paced environment.
• Capable of remaining calm, confident during stressful situations.
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment.
• They must be able to effectively communicate with others, including clients, coworkers, and outside professionals.
• Able to orchestrate large volumes of data while meeting critical deadlines.
• They must exemplify professionalism in personal appearance and demeanor.POSITION REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to accomplish (at a minimum) the position’s skill areas. Listed below are the representative areas of knowledge, experience and abilities necessary to meet the position’s essential requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the Waste Specialist function.
• 3-5 of years of applicable industry experience.
• A Bachelor’s degree in a related field: Environmental Science, Chemistry, Waste Management, Health, Safety, Emergency Management, (or similar major) or related field; or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Direct hazardous material response experience is required.
• HAZWOPER, RCRA, DOT, OSHA training certificates required.
• Must be eligible to work in the US.
• Experience with RCRA, OSHA and DOT Regulations.
• The candidate MUST possess strong time management skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, & ability to manage multiple projects.
• Must be a team player and work to accomplish common goals in the department.
• Data entry, excellent written and verbal communication.
• 40 WPMSkills/Knowledge:
• Must be computer literate, well versed in standard Office Word and spreadsheet programs, as well as software used by ERTS.
• The candidate MUST possess strong time management skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, & ability to manage multiple projects.Physical Requirements:
Physical: The physical demands following are representative of those that must be met by the employee to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Body Positions: Sitting, standing, walking about and while talking and listening.
• Body Movements: The position requires arm and hand dexterity; must be able to move one’s head, neck and back.
• Body Senses: Must have adequate vision, color perception and hearing, with or without correction.
• Strength: Must be able to lift and move equipment and materials that may weigh up to 20 pounds by oneself.Mental, Job Related Position Requirements:
• Must be able to read, write and communicate effectively.
• Must possess good interpersonal skills.Job Related Working Conditions:
• The position is based in a climate-controlled office.
• Noise level is quiet to moderate, typical of standard office environments.Work Hours:
• This position is expected, at a minimum, a 40-hour work week. Additional hours will be required from time to time, depending on the status of the business.
• As a Waste Specialist it is expected that an emphasis be placed on productive use of time. This means minimizing time away from the workstation for smoking breaks, visiting with co-workers on a personal basis, and/or personal use of the telephones and internet.Job Related Working Requirements:
• Must have a reliable method of transportation to and from work.
• Must have valid driving license.Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
1. Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
2. Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
3. Short- and long-term disability.
4. Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
5. 401(k) plan with a company match.
6. Career development, training and education.
7. PTO and paid holiday time off.
HEPACO is committed to providing Equal Opportunity in Employment, to all applicants and employees regardless of, race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, military status, veteran status, handicap, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Job Title: Environmental Waste Services
Location: Jacksonville – Jacksonville, FL 32202 US (Primary)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree