Performs responsible work in the operation of one or more types of motorized heavy equipment. Operates a specially designed, one person refuse collection truck with a compaction unit that may service as many as 1,000 homes per day; a specially designed boom mounted truck used in the collection of bulk or brush material; and a conventional refuse collection truck, a dump truck used in the delivery of trailers. Performs the duties of a Refuse Collector when required. Services and makes minor repairs to equipment and performs various manual tasks when not operating equipment. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Operates an automated refuse collection unit, rearloader, knuckleboom and dump truck as required. Responsible for safety of refuse collector if driving rear loading vehicle.
• Cleans, fuels and maintains fluid levels of assigned vehicles or equipment.
• Services and makes minor repairs to equipment.
• Inspects assigned equipment twice daily (pre and post trip inspections) for signs of failure or potential failure and informs supervisor when needed repairs are such that cannot be done by the driver. Maintains written logs of two inspections.
• Reports containers needing service on refuse collection routes.
• Performs a variety of manual tasks, including duties of a Refuse Collector, when not operating motor equipment.Education
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Required: Considerable experience in the operation and driving of heavy-duty trucks and motorized equipment and the maintenance thereof.
Required: Valid Class B Commercial driver’s license with air brake endorsement and good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge with safety rules and regulations concerning all of the equipment used by the Solid Waste Division; principles and practices of operating and servicing trucks and motorized equipment; and of safety practices, traffic rules and hazards of the work involving refuse collection and operation of motorized equipment.
• Ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment; follow oral and written instructions; and to follow and service designated refuse collection routesAdditional Requirements
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Site Design: JDA Websites